I sometimes have trouble listening. So here’s a few helpful tips I gathered from an article in Association Management (Feb. 2004). Yes, I am still catching up on reading from nearly three years ago!!!
1. At meetings: sit where you have direct eye contact with the speaker. (45 degree angle)
2. Listen as though you have to report to someone else.
3. Develop listening triggers–objects, words, or environments that remind you to only listen (e.g. specific chair you sit in when you listen)
4. Listen to ask questions. This works even if you don’t ask the question.
5. (Sonia add): Don’t try to do anything else when you listen.
6. (Sonia add): For spouses or significant others, walks and driving in the car are great times to talk.